Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Practice Makes Perfect! (or DOES it??)

Shortly after I got up this morning, I decided that today was THE DAY I was going to try my hand at making a custom envelope for one of my odd-sized handmade cards.

So, I pulled out the envelope pattern that I'd developed on graph paper a while back, designed to fit a 5" X 5" square card.

I have two handmade cards this size, and since I haven't been able to find envelopes to fit them, I thought I'd make my own.

Little did I know what an ambitious project this would end up being, for ME at least!

I quickly realized that the envelope pattern I had developed would not fit on a standard 8.5" X 11" sheet of paper, so I would have to use one of my more expensive 12" X 12" sheets of paper.



I went through my stash of patterned papers and found a pattern and color that I thought would coordinate with the handmade card/s for which I was creating an envelope.

Then I laid the graph paper pattern on the white (back) side of the patterned paper, drew around it, and hand cut the envelope shape out.




I actually had to cut out the envelope shape twice (wasting an entire sheet of 12" X 12" paper!), since I made the mistake the first time around, of trying to fold the envelope freehand, and ended up with a totally misshapen envelope that didn't fit the card!

So, with the second envelope cutout, I laid the card inside to use as a template for making the card folds.






Then, I carefully made the folds, gently at first, so as not to make creases until I was pretty sure there was a proper fit.


Of course, it seems like NOTHING turns out perfectly the first (or second, or ??? time), much to my perfectionistic dismay!

And I ended up with some extra bulk at the outer corners of the envelope flap. Luckily I was able to carefully trim some of the excess layers of folded paper away with my tiny little detail scissors!

Here is the back side of the completed envelope, glued together with tiny scrapbook adhesive squares.




And here is the outside of the flap.

You wouldn't know (I hope!) that I also covered up some folding "mistakes" along the top of the flap with the narrow strip of coordinating patterned paper.. . . . .I wasn't about to sacrifice this envelope after all this work!









And here's the completed card, that began this frenzy of crafting activity today!




The card is approximately 5" X 5" square . . . I'm sure it didn't start out being that size, and I can't exactly remember how it kept getting smaller and smaller. . . .but one of my mottos is "waste not, want not". So I was determined to make this little card a work of art!












Some of you who have been following my Blog for a while, might just recognize this paper pieced tulip from one of my posts a while back. When Lee and I were in Sedona on vacation several months ago, I spent my quiet time during the evenings making paper pieced tulips. Now, I'm FINALLY getting around to developing them into some card projects!

I've added some Stickles to this tulip for a little sparkle, and handcut a stem and leaves from textured green Bazzill cardstock.

The card is fully lined with a layer of lightweight white cardstock, and I'm hoping that someone will find it perfect for a spur-of-the-moment note or other occasion.




So here I am today . . . having just spent literally HOURS working on a handmade envelope to fit an odd sized card that I can't even quite recall how it came to be.









But, I guess it was worth it. After all, I still have at least one more card that needs a custom envelope, and Practice Makes Perfect! (or DOES it?)




What do YOU think?






Until we meet again . . . . . . may you find all your creative endeavors to be worthwhile.

6 comments:

LeelaBijou said...

So much work, but the result is great ^_^, gorgeous card by the way, I love it!

Runs With Scissors said...

Oh, definitely worth it! Both the envelope and card are wonderful! Nice job!

Jenn~ said...

Beautiful card with the perfect envelope...someone is going to be very happy to receive something that had so much care go into it....wow...

Elizabeth said...

I think it looks good!

eeniemoni said...

Now that is way cool! Good work

April said...

One of my best friends has made her own envelopes as long as I've known her. The first time I ever saw one...I was like...you can DO that?

very cool...glad you made it work!