Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Fall is in the Air (and so is Halloween)!


Well, here we are, on September 3rd, and Fall is in the Air here in Utah! I woke up to brisk morning air coming in our bedroom window (mid 60s outside)....brrr! Was it only last week that we were enjoying 94 degree weather??

This time of year, when the weather starts turning, I begin to think of Halloween. Ever since I was a child, Halloween has been one of my favorite "holidays". I used to love dressing up and going out trick or treating. And even in my adult years, I still enjoy seeing all the neighborhood children dressed up as princesses, witches, ghosts, and whatever else their imaginations can dream up, as they come to our door on October 31 for a Halloween treat.

Now, being a cardmaker, thoughts of Halloween also conjure up thoughts of Halloween card designs! Although I don't dress up anymore on Halloween, I love to channel my imagination into creating special cards for this time of year.

I guess you could say that one of my "signature" handmade cards is what I call my Witch's Boots card. Once a year, I try to make one or two of these cards, just because I love the design.

The card features a whimsical pair of witch's boots and a witch's broom. The boots are hand drawn and hand cut, then outlined in metallic goldtone ink. Each boot has a small bow hand-tied with fine gauge iridescent metallic cord.

The witch's legs are clad in purple and black striped tights (patterned paper).The broom handle is ribbed brown cardstock and the broom itself is made from lavender paper raffia and tied with a length of narrow satin ribbon in fushia.

The background of the card design is made from textured Bazzill in purple, black and white. The card is 5'' X 7'' in size, fully lined with an additional layer of plain white lightweight acid free cardstock, and blank inside.

Over the next few days, I'm going to be doing a little Halloween "haunting" (hunting, really!) for more special Halloween items made by other craftspersons and artisans, to feature on my Blog. So I hope you'll check back to see what I find!

2 comments:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I love all the seasons, I really do, yet autumn seems to grows with roots more deep every year. The holiday we call Halloween is very special to me - plus, it's my birthday! :)

Enjoy your card-making inspiration!

Also - congrats, you won a whimsy!! (I left you an Etsy convo). :D

Janice said...

I love Spring, but my absolute favorite season is fall!! The only thing that saddens me is that night falls so quickly :)

I love this card - its absolutely adorable!